Our pets, especially puppies, are very curious creatures, who like to explore the world by trying to put everything they find into their mouths. They experience the world by chewing, tasting, and sometimes eating whatever they find in their way. Whether your pet lives inside or outside, it is very important to be aware of common household items that are dangerous, and could potentially cause harm to our pets.
Baits, Insecticides and Cleaning Products: Our furry friends love to follow us everywhere in our house, don’t they? Sometimes they manage to sneak into our garage, laundry room or shed, and since we tend to store cleaning supplies, fertilizers, pesticides, and other chemicals in these places it is extremely important to keep these rooms locked and inaccessible for our pets, especially when we are not around to keep an eye on things.
Most of the household cleaners we use are also hazardous to our pet’s health if ingested. They can cause life-threatening burns to the mouth or esophagus. Please be aware of them as some dogs are attracted to the smell of ammonia in floor cleaners and bleach.
Store rat and snail baits safely in the original packaging within another sealed container, and keep them in a high cupboard that is out of reach of your pet. If you think your pet has had contact with rat bait, call your vet immediately.
Rubbish Bins: Bins can be full of bio-hazards for our pets. Trash cans can be easily knocked over or can be let open, and our pets can pull out dangerous or toxic rubbish like cigarette butts, food skewers, dental floss, and foods that are unsuitable for pet consumption. Keep rubbish bins out of reach from pets, and make sure they are properly covered.
Food: It can be difficult to say no to those puppy dog eyes pleading with you, while you are at the table having dinner. Giving some of your food to your pet could be fine, however, that depends on what it is, and what’s in it. There are specific foods that your pet cannot eat, because they are toxic to their health. Here are the most common ones to look out for: Chewing gum, Grapes-Raisins, Macadamia nuts, Avocados, Onions, Garlic, Chocolate.
Toys and small objects: Small objects and brightly colored toys are very appealing to pets. Even if you think your pet would never attempt to eat them, they are potential choking hazards. Be mindful of buttons, small batteries, rubber bands, and small toys.
Electrical Cords: Electrical cords should be kept out of pet's reach, especially if you have young puppies, they tend to chew and pull on any cords they find lying around near them. If your pet chews on a cord and exposes the wiring, it can cause him severe injuries including burns to the mouth and tongue, seizures or cardiac arrest. It’s a good idea to check the electrical cords around your house, if you find chew marks on them, unplug and replace them immediately.
Mad Paws Pty Ltd