When the holidays come, we love to meet with friends and family and share food together, have lunches, dinners and barbecues and we could be tempted to give some of our leftovers to our canine companions. Who can resist those those cute puppy eyes? But there is some very common human food that could be very dangerous for our four legged friends. Every dog owner should know what they are, recognise the symptoms and call promptly a vet when they occur.
Cooked bones, might splinter and cause an obstruction or injury to the dog’s digestive system, only raw, uncooked bones that should be as big as your dog’s head, you want the dog to chew on the bone and not to chew it up, so it will be better to remove the bone after a few hours.
Onions and garlic, they are part of the same family and, if eaten in large amounts,they can lead to anemia in dogs, interacting with their red blood cells. The size of the dose determines the level of poisoning so keep an eye for lethargy and reduced appetite.
Grapes and raisins are the most toxic and dangerous food for dogs as consumption can lead to kidney failure and even death, so make sure that you keep grapes and raising out of your dog reach at all time.
Avocado, depending on the variety they will they can have a higher or lower toxic effect due to a toxin called persin that can cause stomach upsets and is concentrated especially in the peel. Also the pit can be accidentally be swallowed by dogs causing obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract.
Caffeine, who doesn’t love a good flat white in the morning? Your dog most definitely doesn’t! All food and drink types containing caffeine should be off limits with dogs, as it will provoke vomit, diarrhea and difficulties in breathing, it might also affect the heart and the nervous system.
Alcohol, it has the same effects that has on humans, affecting dogs’ brain and liver, and it takes much lower quantities to do damages in dogs. Even a small amount of alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, coordination issues, difficulty breathing and worse.
Chocolate, the darker, the more dangerous it is, as it will contain more caffeine and theobromine. If eaten it can cause vomiting, dehydration, abdominal pains, severe agitation, muscle tremors, irregular heart rhythm, elevated body temperature, seizures and death.
Candies and gums, these small and sticky human treats could become a choking hazard for your dog but more dangerous is the xylitol that sugar-free gums and candies contains. Xylitol is a common sugar substitute and it can be lethal to dogs.
It is normal feeling like you want to treat your dog, and sometimes a little treat here and there from the family table won’t hurt, especially if your dog doesn’t have a particularly sensitive stomach. But as always, moderation is the key and most of your dog food should be dog food! If you think that your dog has ingested any of these food, make sure you keep an eye on him or her and contact your local vet as soon as possible.
Mad Paws Pty Ltd