As Easter draws near, it's likely that your home will be filled with chocolate eggs and treats. Most of us know that chocolate is very dangerous for dogs but have you ever wondered why? Or what to look out for in the event your dog manages to snaffle some chocolate? Well wonder no more... we've got all the answers!
Theorbromine is the compound present in cocoa which is extremely toxic to dogs and other pets. The more concentrated the compound, the more dangerous it is for your pooch. In simple terms, the darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is due to the higher levels of cocoa (and therefore Theobromine). That being said, ALL chocolate is dangerous for pooches and care must be taken to keep all chocolatey treats out of their reach.
If your dog displays any of the following symptoms, they may be suffering from Theobromine poisoning and the advice of a veterinarian should be sought immediately.
If your pet ingests even a small amount of chocolate, please contact your veterinarian for advice immediately.
Going away this Easter and need someone to watch over your pooch? Head to Mad Paws and book your pet's favourite sitter now!
Mad Paws Pty Ltd